Collecting CS if Paid Under the table/Self Employed

The absentee parent has is a self employed truck driver. He makes in access of $10,000 monthly, however this cannot be tracked as he works for himself and paid directly to his checking account. He did not file taxes last year. How difficult would it be to prove his income? What would be needed to prove his income? (ie subpoena bank statements from unknown banks, accept the bank statements he provides which show less than half of the funds) I imagine that once he receives notice of the child support filing, he will remove his money from the bank(s), possibly putting the funds in his parents or siblings account. Would there be a way to get information on a bank account that was closed if subpoena? (I am just trying to find out if this is a lost cause or not).

The self-employed parent will be required to turn over all bank account statements, receipts/invoices for work performed, etc. to show all sources of income. This would include any recently closed back accounts as generally the look-back period for income is 6-12 months.

The self-employed parent would be court-ordered to provide this documentation, whether it be by local rules, discovery, motions to compel, or contempt proceedings.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your feedback and this site! (This is my first time using a forum for legal information)