Consent Agreement

My ex-wife manipulated me into thinking we were getting back together during a child support case to lessen the amount she would have to pay. We signed the consent agreement in court this past Monday and then she dooped me severely right after. Her attorney is supposed to draft the final order for us to sign for the judge to sign off on… Is there anything I can do at this point to not sign it and get what I really need for the children? I have recorded phone calls of what she was doing.

You may be able to show that you were fraudulently tricked to sign the consent or that you signed under undue influence, however, these are contract defenses and not defenses to consent orders.

Unless she agrees to also alter the agreement, there is likely little, if anything, you can do to reverse this, especially if a judge has already signed the agreement and it was file stamped.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.