Consent order

After having a consent order prepared by an attorney upon my oldest son reaching emancipation upon turning 18, I am again in need of having another consent order prepared because my middle son has turned 18 and will be graduating from high school next month, which leaves me to provide monetary child support for only my youngest son, age 11. His mother and I have agreed upon a new worksheet A, and we want to take care of filing this consent order ourselves. However, in reviewing the previous consent order prepared by my attorney, I find that it was prepared with reference to a specific judge in Gaston County, who signed off on it. My questions are as follows:

  1. Can we file the consent order ourselves?
  2. If yes, does the consent order have to reference a specific judge in Gaston County?
  3. Is there a fee for filing the consent order with the court?
  4. Who would I need to contact to confirm the procedure for filing the consent order, with notarized statement of agreement between the custodial parent and myself?

Please advise.

Thank you.


You may create a consent order yourselves. If your case was assigned to a specific judge previously you should submit your order to that judge for entry. There is no filing fee to have an order entered. Once you and your ex have signed the order, contact the clerk of court for specific instructions on having the same entered in your county, by your judge.