Contempt of court and order to appear

hello. i have an order that was entered and signed by the judge. the deadline for my spouse to pay me was up on may 31. he has not complied with the order. i want to file contempt of court and make him appear.

what forms do i need to fill out? are they two separate forms? this is in durham county.

thank you in advance for your expertise!!

You will need to file a motion for an order to appear and show cause. The motion asks the court to issue an order to the other party requiring the other party to come to court and show good cause why he/she should not be held in contempt.

There are no pre-printed forms. You will need to file a motion and submit a proposed order for the judge to sign. The order should have spaces for a court date and time to be filled in by the clerk.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.