Motion and order to show cause

When you file a motion to to show cause, if the Judge believes the allegations constitute a violation of the order, the court will sign an Order to show cause. The Order to show cause means that the other party must come to court and explain to the court why they should not be held in contempt. If you live in Wake County, and many other counties as well, you can find the forms at

You should be aware that in Wake County and many other counties, you must go to mediation before you and your spouse go back before the court regarding custody issues. Make sure you check with the clerk of court or the family court office in your county to determine if you are responsible for meeting the mediation requirement.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I have a question-If you have a court order regarding visitation and the other party is violating the order…what type of paperwork do you file to take them to court?

What happens when you go to court? What do you need to prove?

Pamela Ruelas