Court costs of post separation support

The fees you will pay will vary depending on the attorney you choose. If you have an attorney I would check the fee contract you have with that attorney. Generally, if you are awarded post separation support and you do not have access to funds to pay for your litigation your spouse will be ordered to pay attorney’s fees.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My lawyer had to file for post separation support as my husband was not paying what he should for me to maintain our house and 4 children. No settlement could be reached. We had the hearing for post separation support last month and in a few years we go back to the court for child support/child custody/visitation. I am a stay at home mom with currently no income. Husband makes in excess of 300K so children have enjoyed a high standard of living. My atty asked that atty fees be made by defendent as I do not have the means. Will that cover court costs? How often do the judges award that atty fees be paid to the plaintiff? Now having to go back to court twice, what kind of fees am I looking at?