Yes, regular income received, even if it is a gift can be considered income for the purposes of child support calculations. I suppose that it all depends upon how long the ‘gift’ has been going on, though, and whether it’s likely to continue.

It depends on the reason why this money is given, if it is being given because adequate child support is not being paid, then generally it will not count as income. If it was money they were getting prior to the separation and they are getting it on a regular basis then it may be considered income.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Can money given to you each month by a parent/relative and it is deposited into your checking account be considered income towards child support calculations? If so, how do you go about obtaining the financial records to show this, such as bank statements? Do you have to have a lawyer?