Custody of an adult

I was wondering if I can come get my daughter who has aged out of CPS because she has been getting into legal trouble stealing credit cards and other misbehaviors but she is in some other kind of program until she turns 21. We want to introduce her into a new environment so maybe her behavior improves before she winds up in jail. Please help and Thanks

There are no custody rules or laws that apply to people age 18 and older. If an adult is incompetent then there are guardianship proceedings available, but that does not seem to apply to your situation.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.