Child's legal adult age

Dear Louene,

When a child turns 18 in North Carolina, they are legally an adult. A court is not going to make custody decisions for a person who has reached age 18. So, if the child wants to move out, the court is not going to stop them. However, if they are still in high school, then child support may be implicated if they have moved into the payor parent’s home. It is possible that the child support obligation can be reversed in that situation.

Good luck,

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

When a child turns 18 years old are they a legal adult in NC?
If they are, can they leave the custodial parent, on their on decision and move in with the non-custodial parent? If they are still in high school at 18, and have 5 months before they graduate, can they still move out?

Lu Ann Barber