Obtain Custody of son after domestic issue

I live in Florida and my wife and I separated in 2017. She lives in NC with our two kids. I recently had to travel to NC to get my 18yr old daughter because of a domestic altercation. My daughter so many things that was going on in the house as far as verbal abuse and neglect that I am in fear for the well-being of my 12 yr old son. I recently opened a case with CPS but do not know what else I can do. She even cut off conversation between my daughter and son. I am just trying to look for ways to obtain custody of my son as I do feel that my home would be a better environment for him. There’s a lot more to this story and I did not want to type everything.

If you do not already have a court order for custody, you will need to file a custody action against the mother in NC in the county in which she and the children reside.

NC will have jurisdiction over child custody matters if the minor child has resided in the State of NC for the last 6 months.

If there is a substantial risk of bodily injury or sexual abuse to the minor child or there is a substantial risk that the minor child may be abducted or removed from the State of NC for the purpose evading the jurisdiction of the NC courts, then you would have grounds to get an emergency ex parte custody order.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.