So basically you have joint custody/50/50 right? Are you paid child support? Do you have joint legal custody?
- He cannot sign your child up for these events during your custodial time without your permission and I’m sure that your lawyer would tell you that.
- You should be sharing these types of unusual out of pocket expenses 50/50
I would do the following:
- Carefully read over your custody order and see if it has any existing language about joint legal custody and sharing of expenses.
- Approach your ex first via e-mail or certified letter and try and work this out as far as scheduling of these camps and the sharing expenses. Explain to him that you do not schedule things during his custodial period and cannot bear the expense on your own.
- Depending on the age of your child you may want to have a talk with your child about this situation. If they are old enough they will understand that both parents, regardless of the divorce, need to play a part in these types of decisions and that money IS an issue.
If you cannot resolve this you will have to go back to the table with your lawyers and mediators/counselors.