Dear duped:

Greetings. First, make sure that you are paying some form of child support, and that you have a full-time job. Don’t focus on the past, but on what the children’s future needs to be.

I doubt the judge will give her “full custody” which I take it to mean that you would not have any visitation.

To be safe and get the schedule you desire, you may want to hire an attorney. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have been separated from my wife for 180 months, and she has had the children the entire time, and has made it hard for me to see them. or speak with them on the phone.

She has filed for full custody. As she has maniulated things so I could not see my children, I have gotten angry on occasions, and left angry voice mails. She said she has recorded the conversations, and is going to use them to get full custody.

I tried to get a business off the ground in 2004 investing $15,000 that flopped, and she is claiming that I am a deadbeat DAD becuase she has not received any income.

She also asked me to leave with no warning after we had moved into a new rental home. She has been an extremely contentious wife for our entire 18 years of marriage.

With this small window into what is going on, will the judge give her full custody of the children?