Child custody jurisdiction belongs to the state that is the home residence of the children for the preceding six months. Since you moved only 5 months ago, NC is the appropriate jurisdiction for child custody. A court will consider lots of factors in determining custody. I would advise that you consult an attorney individually to assess your child custody case.

Lisa M. Angel
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, NC 27607
(919) 781-1741 direct voice
(919) 256-1660 direct fax
(919) 787-6668 main voice
(919) 787-6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I moved 350 miles away to another state 5 months ago. My husband is in NC and we have joint custody. 20 days (me) 10 days (him). Which state has juridiction? What if I feel that this joint custody is not in my childs best interest or safe for him? We agreed on an order and I withdrew it before the judge signed. My husband just hired a new team of attorneys and is saying that my BEST case scenerio is joint custody with him not paying any support. I dont work and his gross is over 10,000 per mo.We were married 2 yrs.