Dating during separation

Dear Glad,

Until you are divorced, you should not date. This is especially true if you are pursuing an alienation of affections claim against your spouse’s girlfriend. You should consult your attorney on the ramifications of dating before divorce, and how it will affect your specific case.

Good luck!

Shonnese D. Stanback
Attorney
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax
NCdivorce.com
email: sstanback@rosen.com

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

This is an old posting I came across during a study of past postings.

Does it mean that if one can prove that spouse is having sexual relations during separation they can escape alimony?

Dear JohnDoe:

If the sexual conduct is within a week or two from the date of separation, yes I think that you can use this evidence to prove or imply adultery. If the sexual conduct is three or four months from the date of separation, my answer is no.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I need advice regarding when it is appropriate to start dating after your spouse leaves. My husband has been spending much of his time with his female friend who my lawyer is planning to sue for alienation of affection. I have accepted the fact that he no longer wants to spend the rest of his life with me and realize that he was never totally committed in many ways. I am ready to move on with my life so that I can develop a relationship with someone who will love me unconditionally. I am afraid that if I am dating someone too soon, that this may come back to haunt me as some will think that I did not appreciate my marriage. My marriage was very important to me and I was totally committed in every possible way, however I feel that due to his decision I must now move on to greater things and a very wonderful relationship. I know that as he has said - I deserve better than the way he treated me and took me for granted for the last ten years. Any legal advice as to when it is appropriate to move on?