Death of ex-spouse, can I get pension back!

My ex died a month ago and I contacted my past employer to get back the half of my pension. They said no. I contacted two attorneys and they both said there was nothing I could do. Yet, I see cases and caselaw where many retirees got their full pension benefits back. What gives?

If a domestic relations order (DRO) has already been entered, it’s not likely that the division can be reversed. However, it will depend on the exact language of your settlement agreement, DRO, and the pension plan administrator.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.