Deported spouse refusing location for service

i am attempting to get divorce. my soon to be ex will only give me the address of his girlfriend in california. i know he is somewhere in mexico. he is there illegally and is supposed to be in el salvador. i am now getting messages that he will have someone come to my house to get our 2 children and take them to mexico. money is tight but i am trying to get this handled. not sure how to serve him. any advice? also is there a way to get the fees waived? i have not seen or spoken to him in over 7 years besides the new facebook messages. please help

Fees for an absolute divorce cannot be waived.
You may serve him via publication if he cannot be found. The procedure for doing so is enumerated in Rule 4 of the North Carolina Rules of Civil Procedure.