Disagree with child's medical treatment

Dear NCMom:

Greetings. First, set a meeting with your child’s doctor, and invite the other parent. Make sure that you pay for the meeting. Next, if you get no resolution, then speak with an attorney about filing a motion to have the issue determined and reviewed by the court. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Posted for a friend for privacy reasons:

I am a noncustodial parent with joint legal custody of my child (11 y.o.). My child is currently on medication for ADD. After doing some research, I found out that my child’s prescribed dosage is much higher than recommended and that there could be long term issues with addiction and tolerance. In addition, my child is taking this medication without supervision–custodial parent does not monitor.

Do I have any legal say in whether my child continues this medication? Ideally, I would like to get a medical reevaluation by an objective doctor that we can both agree on. I have shared the information I found with my ex, but have not gotten any cooperation.