It sounds to me like you have spent a lot of quality time with your son. Based on the facts you have presented, I do not see a reason why you could not get significant custodial time with your son. However, if your ex is not willing to agree, you will need to go to court to get that schedule. If you are not satisfied with the advise you are receiving from your attorney, I would advise you to seek a second opinion.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


I have a situation. My child’s mother and I were never married. We tried to make things work for the sake of the child but couldn’t. My child and her Mother live with a grandparent, and have for the past year. My child’s mother has not worked for nearly 2 years and just recently began working. I have always paid child support and health insurance on time. I have always had my child Wed, Thurs, and Fri. nights every week. Now she wants full custody with visitation for me every other weekend. Neither myself or my childs Mother are “bad” people. There are no issues that should prohibit me from seeing my child.

My living situation is much better I believe. I own my home, work a stable job and have for the past 5 years. I have always attended to my childs needs while her mother calls frequently and asks for gas money and diapers.

My attorney says that I am basically at her mercy and is not fighting for me.

What can I expect or what should I do?