Child abuse/neglect

I would first try to talk to your ex regarding the medication, get something in writing if you can and show it to her. If she still won’t comply, it is something you can bring up in court when you have your permanent custody hearing.

I cannot assess the likely outcome of your custody case without reviewing all of the facts of your case with you.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My ex husband has temporary custody of our 5 and 2 year old children. He lives with his mom and brother. This past weekend while I had my children for visitation, I noticed some bruising on my sons bottom. He told me his uncle had hit him with a belt. My ex confirmed that his brother indeed spanked our 5 year old with a belt. I filed a police report the next day and his brother was arrested for misdemeanor child abuse. My ex now refuses to let me talk with my children on the phone as I am allowed 3 10 minute phone calls per week. I have also found out today after talking to my children’s pediatrician that my daughter is suppose to be on asthma medicines daily. My ex’s brother said that she is suppose to have them just when she needs them. He is not giving her medication as it its supposed to be taken as the dr ordered. My ex is letting his brother basically raise our children. What can I do to see that my daughter is getting these meds? What are my chances for getting custody?