Divorce after seperation

if you have lived in pa for 6 months that’s where you file. just because you separated in nc doesn’t mean you file there.

Dear angels3:

Greetings. You have to file where one of you lives and where the court has jurisdiction. Since none of you are living in NC, it is unlikely that you will be filing in NC. The separation agreement does not give you the right to file in NC. Talk to an attorney in PA. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I am trying to figure out how to start the process for filing a divorce in NC. My husband and I have been lagally seperated since march 31st 2005. He is in the military and now serving in iraq. He waived his right under the soldiers and sailors protection act. He has been unfaithful more times than I can count on my fingers and toes and my 3 childrens. We have a seperation agreement that was drafted by the military legal office that was signed and notarized may 2 2005. I just want this nightmare to be over with. The problem is that he kept bringing other females in front of our three children and playing head games with me and my children so I moved back home to pittsburgh, Pa. The seperation agrrement says that the divorce can be filed as long as nothing in it is changed. that means I have to file in NC. any suggetsions on where to begin and what I need to do?

catherine reeves