Divorce - extreme situation - faster than 1 year?

Dear Ms. Tufte,

Unfortunately, the law does not make any concessions for your situation. You will have to wait 1 year after the date of separation before you can file for divorce.

Best wishes to you and your daughter,

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax
email: sstanback@rosen.com

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I live in NC and was originally married in Texas 10 years ago. My husband has been accused and plead guilty to felony indecent liberties charges (8 of them) occuring in my home with my daughter - whom he has been father to for ten years. I obviously would like to know if I have to wait the entire year to divorce this man. Seems a little unfair to even have to have a divorce at all - this is not the run-of-the-mill ‘better or worse’ stuff here. I would love to erase him from my marital resume altogether! Wearing the name stings too and I would like to know if I am eligible to change my name before a divorce is granted. There are no children between us, property has been settled. Thank you so much for any assistance!