DIY Divorce question


My soon-to-be ex and I are going the DIY route, and our year of separation is almost up. We have a notarized separation agreement and all issues have been resolved. The only thing left to do is file and have it pronounced legally complete.

I was printing off forms and getting everything ready, and got a little confused - do I need to have him served PRIOR to filing? And if so, can I have him served before the year is up, so that I can file on that date?

thank you!


The Complaint must be filed, and the summons issued by the clerk prior to service. You will serve your ex with a file stamped copy of the complaint and the summons. You cannot file until the day after the year anniversary of your date of separation.