Do I have to ask for child support


You should do both. first go to your local Child Support Enforcemnt Agency and they can help you with child support, As far as the home if hes moved out then the home is yours and your child to live in all you have to do is get a Quick Claim Deed.



You can ask to be distributed property as child support. You should contact an attorney or child support enforcement to determine what other legal options you may have available to you.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


I have every reason to believe that my stbx will never be able to pay me a dime of child support…or even if he is able, I’ll never see it. I saw an attorney about a year ago and learned that child support is the one part of a decree that is not closed post divorce. I’m thinking that it would be better if I didn’t even ask for child support and asked instead to retain our family home. can I do that?