Dower rights?

Dear Brenbabe:

Greetings. You need to speak with and retain an attorney. They can help you gain alimony and a free trader agreement, so that you can sell the house without his signature. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I need some help on this issue… I have been married for 15 yrs in NC. Due to some legal issues of my husbands our home is in my name only (deed and mortgage). Also both our vehicles are in my name only. We have put our house up for sale and now husband is threatening not to sign paperwork that realtor stated he has to sign because of some law( dower rights i think) Husband thinks this will keep me here with him. He has become hostile and threatening towards me and i want out… But as he is the bread winner i have nothing and how do i leave with everything being in my name. Is there a way around him signing the paperwork for me to sell the house.( I will give him half of teh sale of corse) I dont want to be greedy . I need to know what steps do i need to take now… thanks