Effectuate service

Hello, I was given a new court date and it says reason is due to effectuate service. The return receipt card does not have my stbx signature when the complaint and summons was mailed it says covid 19. That was a year ago and I have been to court several times with no issue other than he has not showed up or hand over records and was found in contempt and ordered to show cause by the last 2 judges. What should I do to effectuate service as I was told I cannot ap a new Summons to have the sheriff serve him with complaint and summons . Should I get the sheriff in his state to service him with contempt and order to show cause orders and court date will that fix the issue ? Thanks in advance for your time.

The judge is likely concerned that it cannot be proven that the other party personally received the paperwork that needed to be served.

To obtain proper and personal service to the satisfaction of the judge, you can serve the other party by sheriff’s deputy or by FedEx/UPS package with delivery restricted to only the other party and will require an actual signature from the other party.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.