Emotional affair


I have been told that anyone interfering in another persons marriage could be considered for an Alienation of affection suit…
So if a mother in law, co-worker or person that a spouse is having an “emotional affair” with, can you sue this person?

What is the law when it comes to another person (even family) who contantly bring emotional distress to a persons marriage ?

(just curious on this subject)


Simple interference is not enough. To be successful on a claim for alienation of affection, you have to prove that the 3rd party alienated the love of your spouse, which requires that you separate and eventually divorce based on the 3rd parties actions. You do not have to prove sexual relations for an alienation of affection claim.

To understand more about the claim, you can refer to the following article: