Enough already

Dear sickAtired:

Greetings. First, make sure that you show up at court every time you are scheduled. Go to calendar call and stand up when your attorney stands up to answer the calendar, so the judge knows you are there. Tell your attorney that you expect them to relay to the judge at calendar call how many times this matter has been continued.

Now, you also need to set a meeting with your attorney and ask to see any and all motions to continue. Ask your attorney how many of the continuances were their doing. Get clear answers for each. Sometimes we do have to continue a client’s case for a peremptory matter or a ex parte return hearing, but we always try to reset it immediately.

Finally, in Wake County the court docket can have a number of cases on it for any given week. Anything can happen…the first scheduled case can go all week or every case can settle and the last case on the docket can be heard. Make sure that your attorney is ready for court, has their trial notebook, and that you have practiced your testimony. If you are ready, and your attorney is ready, the more likely you are to be heard. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
RosenDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

It is me again; a while back, I had some questions about distribution of property and was very happy with the information I received from your forum. I am still battling the distribution issues connected with my divorce. Like I mention before, my divorce was final in January of this year and I cannot get this thing over with. We had a court date for the month of April and my ex