Erase Arrears?

My ex has almost 10000 in past due support. If I agree in writing to erase this amount and lower his order moving forward will the courts accept that? How do I go about doing so?

Yes, you can agree to remit the arrears. If your child support case is through the child support enforcement agency, you can let your agent know you want to remit the arrears. This will require another court date and the decision is ultimately up to the judge. Keep in mind that if any of the total arrears balance is owed to the State, that portion of the arrears cannot be remitted.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.