Ex wants more


Dear ajrjcr95:

Greetings. Yes, your overtime will be considered for the child support. No, it is unlikely that your extra funds will be taken into account - and I advise that if he moves you for more funds that you stop paying these extra ones unless the child is in your care or you feel very strongly about it. Yes, he can still apply for medicaid and you will still have to maintain them on insurance.

Child support is one of the most difficult situations many of my clients deal with. Although it may not be any consolation, you are not alone. Best of luck.

Also…just stop talking to him about it and either he will or he won’t, but talking about it will keep him thinking about it. Thanks

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My ex-husband is threatening to file for more child support because I recently purchased a luxury item. I work a lot of overtime. It is almost a given that I will work overtime every week (this is how I was able to purchase the item). Will my OT be considered when figuring if I have to pay more if he pursues this? I have contributed money beyond my court-ordered child support to help on things that they need and I have receipts. Will that account for anything? Also, it is rumored that he has tried to apply for medicaid for the children although I carry the medical and dental insurance on them. Can he do that? He works part time but makes almost as much money as his current wife does working full time. I feel he is only doing this out of jealousy and spite. What rights do I have?