Ex wife is moving states and trying to take our child with her


My ex-wife is moving states. North Carolina to colorado. We have a written agreement for custody but have never been before a judge. She has already stated that he (our son) will be going with her and we will have to arrange a new system for visitation. What are my rights here? iI definitely don not want her taking him away from me and am in no place to move. I have also recently started a new job and planning the next five years here. She is using her daughter with her new husband as, to put it loosely, a bargaining chip stating to me “you wouldn’t want to split them up” constantly making me feel guilty for something that is in no way a result of my actions. She is leaving next month for her new job. her husband and her daughter are to follow a month later. She has stated that our son will be put in the care of her parents. That infuriates me as there is absolutely no reason I should not be his primary caregiver if she is leaving. To make it all worse I can not afford a lawyer. Help. I am desperate.

If your wife moves with the child and stops following the custody terms in the separation agreement, then she would be in breach of contract in which you could sue her for.

Your separation agreement may state that the terms are modifiable. If so, you and your ex-wife could arrange a mediation to negotiate the new custody terms for when she moves out of state. However, mediations tend to be unsuccessful when one parent is relocating.

Your best option is probably to file a child custody action against your ex-wife and ask for primary custody. North Carolina will have jurisdiction for a child custody action as long as your son has lived in the State of NC for the past 6 months.

You can get access to a library of legal forms and communicate with an attorney through our Rosen Online Service. This service only costs $199/month, and would be a great resource for you to handle your custody issues without spending thousands of dollars retaining an attorney.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.