Ex's new boyfriend is a convicted felon... Help!

Just found out my ex has a new BF after the Separate Agreement was signed. We aren’t divorced yet. Now I just found out this guy is a convicted felon who got out of jail weeks before they met. He has assaulted women, threats, assault with a deadly weapon, cocaine and week distributions, theft and she is proudly letting him live in the apartment and be around our two young girls. Neither have jobs. She is encouraging the girls to love him and she allows his gang behaviour and vulgarity around the girls proudly. Is this enough to save my children from a manipulative and toxic mother?

You may have enough to limit custodial time with the mother. This ultimately depends on the judge and the complete facts and circumstances. To do so, you would first have to follow the provisions in your separation agreement (assuming custody is addressed in your separation agreement) about modifying the terms. If these attempts are unsuccessful or your separation agreement does not address modification of the custody terms, you would need to file a custody action against the mother.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.