Federal benefits


Dear mvinson:

Greetings. Yes, it would clearly behoove you to have an attorney. First, is one of the federal benefits you are speaking of a pension or retirement account? Also, how long have you been married? Do you know how to draft a QDRO or a Memorandum of Agreement?

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Do you think I would be able to handle a divorce on my own with my federal benefits being a factor? Also, I wanted to keep my estranged spouse on my insurance policy until he reaches Medicare eligibility age next May. Would it behoove me to have an attorney or could I have a properly-worded separation agreement? Everything else is uncontested and simple, including the real estate.