Figuring child support

Dear sk_wilson:

Greetings. No, medical insurance premiums would be calculated in the original amount of child support, but not necessarily reduced by the exact amount of the medical insurance premium. The percentages of support are maintained in this manner.

Yes, additional travel costs are something a judge will take into account for child support. Thank you and sorry to hear about the change in custody and visitation schedule.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My spouse pays child support, but also pays insurance premiums to cover the child for dental and medical expenses. If I’m not mistaken I thought, once her portion of the child support obligation was figured, that any premiums for insurance paid on the childs behalf were deducted from her portion of the obligation, meaning that if her obligation were $400 a month but she paid $100 in insurance premiums for the child then the child support she would pay would be $300. When her support was adjusted a few years ago this was the case.

Now, when the child support worksheet is figured it only allows her to reduce her portion of support by a fraction of what the premiums cost. For instance if she were to pay $400 for support and also pay $100 in premiums the worksheet would only reduce her support by a fraction of the $100 premium of insurance.

I think my wife was figured at $409. She actually pays $85 in premiums for her child only. After the premiums were figured in the worksheet reduced the support from $409 to $385, a diffenence of only $24. Why would this be??

Also, if I may ask another quick question, the child just recently moved from 309 minutes away to four hours away because the father wanted to change jobs and be near the beach, thus literally taking the child out of the mothers life with the exception of a few holidays and a couple of weeks during the summer. (she used to get her on alternate holidays, every other weekend, and the entire summer) Is this something a judge would take into consideration when adjusting support? I believe in supporting your children, but I do think it’s unfair for someone to pay such a high amount for a child who was, for the most part, taken out of her mothers life because the father wanted to change jobs.

Thanks