Filing for Child Support when Ex lives out of state


Hi, I need to file for child support as I currently recieve nothing however the father of my children lives out of state and has recently remarried. Since he is currently married does the child support calculation include the “household” income or just his? What do I need to file for child support?


As long as the children live in North Carolina with you, and have so for at least the past six months, you can file for child support in the county that you reside. You can either file a child support complaint on your own or you can make an appointment with your county’s Child Support Enforcement agency who will help you establish child support.

The child support formula will not take into account the father’s wife’s income. Only the income of the two parents is considered.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.