Filing for child support


Dear Jimmyz:

Greetings. Yes, you can file without an attorney for child support through the NC Child Support Enforcement Agency. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have been divorced for 12 months and before the divorce the Department of Social Services gave me custody of my 2 daughters. My ex-wife was directed to seek professional mental health counseling before she could have unsupervised visitation. During the last year she has not had any treatment and can only visit the children in my presence. I would like to file for child support and was told that I could file with the Department of Social Services or do I need to obtain a lawyer and file a lawsuit? Thanks for your time.