Filing objections to rulings

Generally, if you object to a ruling your only option is to appeal. Your notice of appeal must be filed within a specific period after the order is entered based on the issue that the judge gave a ruling on. You can try a motion under Rule 59 or 60 of the North Carolina Rules of Civil Procedure, but that generally only works if the written Order was inconsistent with the Judges ruling. The timelines for appeals are short, so if you are considering an appeal you need to meet with an attorney as soon as possible, or review a copy of the North Carolina Rules of Appellate procedure.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

How does one go about filing objections to rulings? How long do you have, etc? What is the process??? Help!!!