Filing taxes and claiming child during separation

I’ve been separated for over a year. Can I file taxes as single/head of household? Also, our child is with us for an equal amount of time throughout the year. Can we both claim him on our taxes for last year?

Only one parent can claim the minor child each year. Typically there is an agreement that one parent claims the child in even-numbered years and the other claims the child in odd-numbered years.

You will need to consult with a tax professional about which filing status you can use on your tax return.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Sounds good. Thank you!