Foreign passport - Filing divorce in NC

My spouse and I have both passports from a country in the European Union, but we were married in the US (New York City). We both currently still live in the US / North Carolina with visa, as temporary residents.

Here is my question: As a foreign national, can I file for divorce in NC (given that the marriage certificate was issued in the US)?

The marriage was never registered in my home country.
Thanks for your insights.

Yes, as long as you have been a resident of the State of North Carolina for the past six months, then you can file an action for absolute divorce in North Carolina in the county in which either spouse resides.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.