Foreign Divorce Recognition

I separated from my husband over seven years ago. I would then need to have the divorce recognized. Could you please explain to me what this entails and how I could go about having it done? How much would a simple recognition cost?

Thank you very much for your help!

Similar to divorces granted in other states, if the country where the divorce is granted has jurisdiction and service on the other party is proper, the divorce will be recognized in North Carolina. You should obtain an authentication of your foreign divorce decree (and a translation if necessary) for use in the US. How to register your foreign divorce is an international law question and is outside of the scope of this forum. You should contact the attorney general’s office to find out specifics on where the documents should be sent.