Getting custody of my granddaughter

As I said before I had physical custody of my granddaughter who is now 8 for 4 years somehow he came in he lied to the court and told Them there was a possibility I was going to take her out that a state which he knew was a lie and got an ex parts order Can I turn that around in court own him and can he be charged for that. My concern now is getting her back home where she belongs he has taken her basically to a stranger’s house his he has not spoke a word to her in overv4 yrs she is exposed to a convicted child molester his brother And he has her alienated away from anybody and everybody that she has known for the past 4 years that can not be healthy For any child I know it’s not for her as she already had issues with abandonment I’m helpless until I can get my motion to intervene heard by the judge which should be October the 16th what can I suggest that day to get
Her back I know i want them to pass a drug test but I prefer hair follicle. (Which he can’t do) This poor child has worked so hard to gain her confidence to play Softball to make friends and actually begin to trust people and do things on her own this is so not fair to her any advice please
One more thing my daughter is wanting to Finally take statutory rape charges out on him as she was only 15 when first started sleeping with her he was 24 or 25 (16 when she got pregnant Though) can she do that

If you think your granddaughter is in danger of abuse or neglect, you can make a report to your county’s child protective services.

If you can prove that the father knowingly lied in court, then you can seek charges for perjury, but this will likely be very difficult to do if the father testified to something that was his belief (in your case, he stated he believed you would remove the child from the state).

In court you will need to show that your granddaughter’s placement with her father is not in her best interests, that placement with you would be in her best interest, and that the father is unfit to have custody.

Your daughter should talk with a law enforcement officer about statutory rape charges.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Thank you. The father left the child 4 years ago and has had no contact what so ever with her till August 31 2018 isn’t tha5 abandonment to her and he only wants her now because dss went after him for child support that child has made a life here with friends, Chruch and softball he just ripped her out of it with no concern of how it would effect her, there should be something here to help her with the abandonment and I’m sure he’s doing drugs to

All of these facts that you list will be considered by the judge and you should present those to the court.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

They continued this case again he’s had her for 49 days will this help him i have photo albums of pictures n scrapbooks of her life that she began here there’s over 1500 pics so far that tell her story her he abandoned her for 4 yrs so she finally began a life here of stability honesty and security is there a chance a judge will let this little girl come back to her life. And what else can i do to help my case for her … he’s had isolated from anyone for the whole 49 days so we are not sure how she really is…

When your case is reached at a future court date, you will want to show and produce evidence that the child’s best interests are met if she is placed with you, that you have a stable home and one that is conducive for a minor child of her age, and that it is not in the best interests of the child to be with her father because he is an unfit parent.

Pictures will help, and any witnesses that can back up your arguments will help as well. If the child has a therapist, the therapist may be able to offer valuable testimony.

Anna Ayscue

If or when I prove him unfit will the judge remove from his home in the middle of the school year? And if he appears it will I still be able to move her back to my home until the Appeal is heard.

Yes, if a judge were to find that a parent is unfit to have custody of a minor child, the judge will most likely make a physical custody change effective immediately.

Even if the father appeals the trial court decision, that decision will remain in effect until the matter can be heard by the court of appeals and the court of appeals decided to reverse the trial court decision.

Anna Ayscue

Why is this process take so long I drive 2 hrs but I show up at court every court date the father doesn’t its been continued every time the last two times because he claims he’s outta town which is not true, however he’s not making the judge very happy at all. This has been going on since August 13th 2018. My thing is he is trying to play the daddy role now is that gonna help him. Or when I prove he’s been unfit for the last 4 1/2 years is that what counts

I can’t imagine the sadness my granddaughter is feeling these last few months he has kept her away from everyone including her mother who is suppose to have visitation

On the next court date, object to any continuance requests and let the judge know how many times you have been to court and how far away you have come from each time.

For custody, a judge will consider a parent’s current actions as well as their past actions in regards to the minor child at issue in order to make a custody determination.

Anna Ayscue

This court date my lawyer says its just to hear my intervention and get a visitation set up (my motions have been in since 8-13-18 and still not been heard ) why is that? is there anyway to get the temporary custody heard too how could I approach my lawyer with this she (granddaughter) has been gone since 8-31-18 its crazy why this system works the way it does, its seems more about the money and not the kids best interest. Is there away to.rush this process a little faster

Unfortunately the court process tends to move slowly and there is generally not a way to expedite it. It could be a number of reasons why your motions from August haven’t been heard yet: no service on the other party, lack of available court dates, a lawyer made a motion to continue and the judge allowed it for good cause, etc.

It sounds like in order to have the claim for temporary custody heard, you must first be allowed to intervene in the case (i.e. be allowed to become a party to the case). If that is correct, then you will first need an order from the judge allowing you to intervene, which will then allow you to get visitation established. Then, after that date, you can likely file your claim for temporary custody and/or file your notice of hearing to have that claim heard since you will be properly added as a party to the case.

Anna Ayscue

I was allowed to intervene we didnt even have to go thru a trial. My lawyer and his lawyer came up with a temporary visitation agreement for us. His lawyer told him that I had way to much evidence and a judge was never going to deny me to intervene. So now we have to go mediation not sure why because we want full custody of her and unless her dad agrees to that then its really a waste of time. Any advise on how to try handle mediation I am clueless as to how it works. If there’s was a way to talk him into letting us have full custody would be great… And for the 2nd part of my question I have given everything as far as like 7 photo albums each set up like a scrapbook of detailed memories of holidays, school events, and everyone of her report cards, awards she has gotten which was several, I have given him prove the father has not had any contact with her in 41/2 years none and has not tried to. She loves softball so I have a photo album dedicated to just that. I have also started our memory photo album for 2019 since her first visit back with us was 2-1-19 and we have also paid for her to play travel softball when she is with us that just made her so happy. As I had ask him if we paid for everything even his gas and time if he’d carry her to her games n stuff he refused. And I have also found out he has not carried her to the Dr. Since she has been with him (9-1-18) not for her asthma, her yearly physical nor to a dentist and she had appt for all of those here when he took her, he is also either giving her 5 yr old meds or someone else’s, in her breathing machine she had as a baby I tried to give him updated meds and a inhaler for her, but he refused said she had plenty. (She said she didnt have any and wanted to take one) what else will be helpful to help us get her back home.
She cries so much when we have to take her home its scares me because she says he gets mad at her cause she can’t stop crying and yells and cusses at her, makes her feel bad. She is also around his brother who is a convicted child molester in the state of NC. that scares me to death. What do you think our chances of a Judge going in our favor snd getting her back home. She wants to write the judge a letter and tell the Judge what she wants but she’s only 9 not sure a judge would listen…
Any advise would be great Thank you up front

Custody mediation is required anytime a custody action is filed (with a few exceptions). There will be a mediator there to help you and the father reach a custody agreement. You should have in mind what you are not willing to budge on and things you are willing to budge on and negotiate. However, it sounds like both you and the father have taken hard stances as to who should now have primary custody that it is quite possible that mediation will reach an impasse. If so, then you will need to have a permanent custody hearing and the judge will decide the issue of permanent custody.

Keep documenting everything, and it sounds like you have great evidence so far. The child will likely not read a letter from the child unless all parties agree - technically it would be hearsay and inadmissible. You will also want to testify to her reaction (crying, sad, etc.) any time you have to take her back to her father’s house. And you will also want to have documentation of the child molester/sex offender living with the father - this may also be a CPS issue to report as well.

Anna Ayscue

In general conversation last visitation 3-2-19 my granddaughter just In conversation happen to say that her Aunt Daisiy and get meme left to go the store I asked her who was watching yaw she said Jason (thats the pervert) I did not make a scene I just let her finish her story and bit my tongue but I did text my lawyer he said he was gonna see what could be done BUT apparently nothing because I have not heard a word from him. I’m really concerned this she’s already scared n unhappy where she is I do not know if she would have the braveness to even tell me if something wasn’t right and getting CPS involved scares the crape outta me I have heard so much bad stuff about CPS in these cases. I’m not sure what they do what there process is or nothing

You will need to document this and bring it up in court.

If you were to make a report to CPS, they will investigate by going to the home where the child is and seeing if the child is at risk for abuse or neglect.

Anna Ayscue

I am wondering what is the best online parenting classes that NC courts will except. I am also wondering is there any where or any way to get my granddaughter counseling on the weekends that I have her she is end desperate need of it as she seems close to a nervous break down at the age if 9. She is not use to being yelled at or put down called names and that is all her Dad is about he’s a real piece of work, he’s telling her that he can stop me from ever seeing her again, and just verbally beating down emotionally its breaking my heart to see her put thru this. Idk how NC doesn’t recognize PAS/Narcissistic personalitys a very serious form of child abuse just because it doesn’t leave bruises or physical signs of abuse. It is way worse than any of that it has to stay in these heads 24/7 because NoOne takes it serious enough for them to come forward… Just needing to know from your point what I can do for her please any advice this is killing me inside watching her just deteriorate little by little

Any advice please would be appreciated

I am wondering what is the best online parenting classes that NC courts will except. I am also wondering is there any where or any way to get my granddaughter counseling on the weekends that I have her she is end desperate need of it as she seems close to a nervous break down at the age if 9. She is not use to being yelled at or put down called names and that is all her Dad is about he’s a real piece of work, he’s telling her that he can stop me from ever seeing her again, and just verbally beating down emotionally its breaking my heart to see her put thru this. Idk how NC doesn’t recognize PAS/Narcissistic personalitys a very serious form of child abuse just because it doesn’t leave bruises or physical signs of abuse. It is way worse than any of that it has to stay in these heads 24/7 because NoOne takes it serious enough for them to come forward… Just needing to know from your point what I can do for her please any advice this is killing me inside watching her just deteriorate little by little