Grandparent visitation

I have a 20 year old daughter that just had a baby 2 months ago. From the first week, my daughter has let my grandbaby stay overnight with me, the other grandparent, and another family member. It is not uncommon for the baby to be spending the night away from her parents 2-4 nights a week. Well, my daughter is quite immature and every time her and I have an argument, she always says that I will not be seeing my grandchild. Is there anything I can do legally so that this is not going to be an issue?

Unless the natural parents are proven to be unfit, the grandparents do not have custodial rights.

I am new to the forum and have a question regarding visiting my eight year old grandson.

I have cared for my grandson since he was born. I rented an apartment in 2013 order to give him a stable environment because he had changed schools three times during the 2012-2013 school year. From June of 2013 until two weeks ago I was his primary care giver. I have left the home due to my daughter’s actions and now maintain a separate residence. My daughter refuses to allow me to see my grandson. I have provided a home for him and lived with him for more than six years of his life. I was more involved this past year because my daughter showed no interest in taking care of him - from feeding, bathing, helping with homework, bedtime stories, tucking into bed, washing clothes and out of the home activities besides school, etc. Do I have any legal recourse? I want to be there for my grandson as I always have been. I want to ensure his well being because he has been victimized and neglected in recent months if not his entire life.

Thank you.

Urgently awaiting your response.

A North Carolina Grandparent has no standing to seek visitation when children are living in an intact family – where there are no issues of separation or divorce amongst the child’s parents. If there is an ongoing custody dispute, you can file a motion to intervene and ask for court ordered visitation with your grandson.

If you are wanting to get custody, rather than visitation, we have an article on Grandparent Custody that can explain when grandparents have standing to seek this, what standards are used, and how the process works.