Grandparents visitation

Hi,
this is my first post. My son is the the Army and stationed in Germany. He will be home between 1/15-1/28 on a short leave. His wife has either filed or planning to file for a divorce. Their chld is 7 months old and will only allow us to see her at church or with arrangements to visit at her parents home, where she lives. My husband and I have been very considerate in many ways including giving the mother plenty of time before asking for visitation time with our grand child. Our grandchild (Lily) is now 7 months old and we asked if we could have Lily in our home for a few hours visit. The response we received was that not right now, I’ll have to wait to see what happens (meaning with our son and the filing of a divorce, we assume). My son will be home for a very short time before he is most likely deployed and will be staying in our home while he’s on leave. He is so excited about having the approval to come home for a few days to see his baby Lily, and we are extremely concerned that he will by devistated if this does not happen. My husband and I have pletny of time to work visitation rights out for us, either through a third party or the court system, but Patrck does not. Not only will Patrick leave devistated, our hearts will also be broken because of his pain.
Someone mentioned to us that udder these circumstances, our attorney might be able to request time with a Judge. I’m not sure what can be accomplished, but as far as we understand he is still married, even though she could have filed for divorce on 10/25//06, without him being aware. We just found out a yesterday, that she was not going to let him nor us, take Lily for a few hours visit and because of this we have only a couple of weeks to have something in order, so that we may have some time with Lily. There would be no question of our worthiness of be resposnible grandparents. I have been involved with the courts as a Guardian Ad-Litem and Judge Helms and his family have been in our home, while our children were involved in school and sports. We are not wanting to turn to him, but if the courts need a quick reference to our abilities of caring for Lily while she is in our hands, someone may need to turn to Judge Helms or the director of Guardian Ad-Litem. We really wanted to think that our being able to have a relationship with Lily, would not be an issue, even though we did see the red flags. CAN SOMEONE ADVISE ON WHAT QUICK STEPS THAT MY BE AVAILABLE, SO THAT OUR SON WOULD BE ABLE TO BRING LILY TO OUR HOME FOR VISITS DURING HIS LEAVE. HE HAS ONLY HAD THE CHANGE TO VISIT WITH HER AT THE MOTHERS/GRANDPARENTS HOUSE ON HIS WAY THROUGH HER TO GERMANY WHEN LILY WAS ABOUT 2 MONTHS OLD AND SAID THAT IT WAS VERY HARD WITH FEELING THE ABSOLUTE JOY OF HOLDING HER WHILE FEELING ALL THE TENSION FROM THE MOTHER. HE SAYS NOW THAT LILY IS OLDER THAT HE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO SEE HER AS IF IT WERE “SUPERVISED” VISITATIONS. TIME IS RUNNING SHORT, PLEASE ADVISE TO E-MAIL: SAHTWEETY@AOL.COM
MUCH APPRECIATED,
SHIRLEY