Harassment from Grandparents

You may be able to pursue a civil no contact order under North Carolina General Statutes chapter 50C.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

What exactly do I need to do to make that happen? Do I have a strong enough case?

My suggestion to you is this…put your foot down now. You and your ex have an agreement and you should stick to it. Tell his parents, in writing what that agreement details. Let them know that the drop offs will begin being made at a centralized location (grocery store parking lot, police station parking lot) some place there are witnesses. Police station or in view of it is a good idea so that if necessary they can be called to witness any verbal threats…also, if they are supposed to be picked up by your ex or dropped off to your ex, then ask that the parents not be present. Forbid them to come to your home for drop off or pick up.
Take control of this situation and keep in mind that emotions run high during separations and divorces.
Protect your children. If they are using foul language, ask them to stop. Put everything in writing and keep documentation. State the law on stalking. If they are having you followed for court purposes that is one thing…but following you themselves so that they can threaten or harrass is illegal.
A no contact order is alright but in some cases it will only inflame the situation and make matters worse. The best solution, in my opinion, is to attempt to resolve it prior to taking legal action.

Our exchanges went much the same way until I quit going with him to drop off or pick up the children. That went on for almost a year. It was very difficult on the children and we are still trying to repair some of the damage 3 years later…
EDIT: My reasoning for not getting a no contact order was the children. They would never understand me taking their mother to court because she keyed my car or threatened to kill me…that’s their mother. Children do not understand these situations and hopefully yours are young enough to forget some of the ugliness ahead…

Forms to file this action should be available through your local clerks’s office. In order to qualify for an order under Chapter 50C, you must prove the following:

I have been followed by ex’s parents since before the separation went through. It just went through a couple of weeks ago. My question is what can be done? They cursed in front of the kids when I picked them up for my vistation. Now they were harassing me 1hr before I needed to drop them off (per separation agreement, we have a @6pm drop off). Is there anything I can do to so that I don’t have to deal w/ this stress. This was my first weekend and I can’t imagine it being like this everytime.