You need to take reasonable measures to encourage contact, have the children call him and encourage his calls. You do not have to force the call. If you insist that your children call their father they will likely do so and that may help begin repairing the relationship.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I have custody of my two children currently but am being sued by my ex for them. He does pay child support though well under NC Guidelines. I do not receive further assistance from him. He has had very little contact with them. He has chosen not to follow the outline we agreed to between the two of us (signed and notarized but not prepared by an atty.)and exercise the rights he does have. He didn’t call or visit according to what he was entitled. Now, since August, in fact, he has had no contact whatsoever with them…no visits, no calls, no letters, not even for Baptism of his daughter or birthday of his son, save for one Halloween card. Is it my responsibility to make sure the children call him or write, etc. Or is it up to him?. Will this be held against me? When he was calling (earlier on) the children would declare that they didn’t want to speak to him. He could hear them say that and would say that that was okay and not to force them. I even asked if he wanted the children to tell them that directly. He said no. Now nothing. Am I now going to be held responsible for him “being kept from his children?”. I know he has told his family that I won’t let him see them or talk to them (they told me this). NOTHING is further from the truth. I very much want my children to have a relationship with their father and I DO encourage them to call him or to talk should he “decide” to call. Do I force them? They were extremely upset when they did have to have contact with him in the beginning. He has said that I can have no contact with him and must go through his atty. directly. His attys. won’t call me back. How would I even notify him of an emergency with the children. Further, I do send pictures of the children and bought Father’s Day gifts, etc. He now is hostile about them spending Thanksgiving with him but he is having nothing to do with them. Help!