He refuses to meet me halfway on anything

I left my home with our 3 children because my husband is an alcoholic. He lost his job last month and was drinking even heavier. At the end of June, I left my job. The kids and I moved temporarily with my parents in SC and he stayed in NC. He hasn’t paid the rent for July and refuses to discuss any separation agreements. He always state that we will talk about it later. I have tried discussing the household debts, he pretty much refuses to meet me halfway on anything. He rarely has contact with the children, lies to them saying he is coming but never shows. I have the children primarily and he hasn’t provided any support. From July 4 to now he has also been staying in SC with a family member. I am still on the lease so I’m still responsible for the payment. I have signed documentation to be removed from the lease but he wont sign as well for that to happen. I’ve tried talking to the property manager but was told that they can not get into roommate disputes. It seems like he has moved on, I disconnected his phone service from the family plan because he was talking to other women. We are still married so this is cheating, right? He acts like he doesn’t want to be bothered with me or the kids but he wont do his part to release me from this hell. Everytime I ask him to meet so we can discuss things he refuses. Even when I offer to help pay for bills, it’s always we will discuss later. I dont know what to do. My credit has been and continues to be ruined because he refuses to work anything out with me. What can I do?

If your husband is unwilling to negotiate anything with you, then you have no choice but to file a court action against him for any of the claims that apply to you, including equitable distribution, child custody, child support, postseparation support, alimony, and divorce from bed and board.

NC likely has jurisdiction at this point, so any court claim would need to be filed in NC. Once you file the complaint and he is served, then you can schedule a court date for the temporary issues, for example, temporary child custody, temporary child support, and postseparation support.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.