Health Insurance

My husband and I have been separated for a while, and our child and I are currently covered under his health insurance policy through his work. While we were married, I found out that I was basically uninsurable under private insurance due to a health issue and can only get insurance through a group plan that must carry me. I have been self-employed for 10 years and have no group policy available to me. Can my husband cancel my insurance without my consent? They are preparing to change their policy to a different carrier and I am concerned he won’t advise me that he’s making a change. I thought I recalled that I would have to sign to waive coverage under any policy he takes but I am starting to have serious concerns. Any advise would be appreciated.

I’m sorry to hear about your condition. The answer to this question depends on the plan. Some plans will not allow a spouse to discontinue coverage for the other spouse before divorce, but others will allow the change. If they’re changing providers then this will likely be a new election and not a plan change. I’d suggest you should discuss this issue with him.