He's getting a settlement!


Dear kperry1054:

Greetings. You can contact the child support enforcement agency and they can put a lien on his settlement for child support. Good luck!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I recently found out that my ex-husband who is court ordered to pay child support is getting ready to get some kind of settlement. Here is what I know… About 2 years ago he was hurt on the job and has been recieving workers comp. and my child support payments have been taken out of that. Now, I have not recieved a check in about 3 weeks which is unusual so I suppect the workers comp has come to an end.
Then I was told that he was getting ready to recieve a settlement for his injury (which is really a bogus one b/c he does side work that requires alot of lifting). My question is… How can I find out if this is a disability suit and if it is…He will no longer be able to work or recieve benefits, how do I go about getting a part of it to cover child support? I know that if he isn’t working or recieving benefits I WILL NOT get anymore support from him. We really have to fight for support now. Or am I even entitled to anything?

Thank you in advance for your input and thank you so much for a website that allows us to ask questions and actually get a reply back. You ATTORNEYS are awesome and are doing a great service! You are really appreciated!