Home Rights re: Adult Stepchild

I am looking to understand what legal rights I have regarding my house and an adult stepchild. My wife with whom I am separating, is traveling with her youngest daughter this weekend but her oldest daughter, who is 20, has decided to stay at my house while her mom is away.

I own my own home and am the only one on the deed. It was purchased pre-marriage.

Her staying here is against my will and my repeated requests to have her stay at her father’s house (where she resides part time as well) or other nearby family or friends. I am in an unfortunate situation where there are continued, serious false accusations being made against me. Therefore I am not comfortable or feel safe with her adult daughter staying in my home while her mother is out of town.

Hopefully that makes sense and someone might be able to provide me with any legal rights I have.

Thank you.

The distribution of the house will be resolved in equitable distribution as part of your settlement. You could include in the settlement that your wife requires that her adult daughter vacate the home when she does.

Otherwise, you may be able to look into eviction proceedings but you would need to consult a lawyer who handles landlord-tenant issues.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.