Given the circumstances you described, you he will likely have an alimony obligation. You can use any alimony you receive towards the house payment. The court may allow you to stay in the house indefinitely if you wish to do so.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com/live for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I have been given our house to live in. SBTX has rented a house. He has all of our money tied up in 2 businesses. I have a part time job, he runs business. Of course, he pays himself a VERY low paycheck. His child support is based on that. I don’t receive much. He has been ordered to pay house pmt. I pay house bills. How long will I be able to live in house. It will most likely take a long time to sell. If I had to pay the pmt, I could not even come close, nor can I afford to rent a place. Will the courts take this into consideration, or will I be moving out since he is able to make the payment. I am hoping to keep this arrangement until it sells.