How can i change the amount of child support

Child support can only be re-evaluated every 3 years unless there has been a substantial change of circumstances…15% or more increase or decrease in income, moving considerable distance away, major changes in the childs needs…things like this.
If you just had child support evaluated and he’s changing jobs that frequently, it’s unlikely that any job he gets will be a 15% increase in income. If he signed the order then that is what he will be paying…I suggest that you pay close attention to his work and if it changes with a vast increase, immediately contact the social worker. In the mean time…my suggestion is to do whatever necessary to take care of your children because it’s apparent that your ex is not planning to do that.

He was not working at all when they made the order for 106. Now he has a income of about 38,000. So thats more than a 15 percent increase,but child support enforcement said they cant do anything about it for 3 yrs.

angela greene

Generally child support enforcement will only pursue a modification of support every three years. They should pursue the collection of the arrearages on your behalf. If his income has increased 15% you can pursue a modification in district court.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I have a question my ex husband was working and avoided being served in the state of nc for 3 yrs. We got him served using child support enforcement and had a court date of august 25 then he got the date changed by saying he wouldnt get his paycheck till after court, they changed it to sept 10th then he came into the office said he is no longer working and signed a vol. order and they let him agree to pay 106 dollars a month for 4 kids thats not apiece thats it 106 a month. Now i got my first check today the 19th of feb. it was for 24.46 and it was a ganished amount, she said he still owes the 318 from nov,dec,and jan, and next yr 2009 when he files his taxes i should get it. Now here is the question my case worker said even though he is working making money we cant take him back to court for 3 yrs for a increase,why is that?

angela greene